Thursday, November 10, 2011

Voltaic - Handcrafted Earrings

If electricity could be seen, I would imagine that it might look something like these earrings.

These earrings are made from clay Natashia cabochons.  Natashia beads are usually made with scrap clay of diferent colors, the clay is swirled to some degree and then cut to create artistic mirror images on each of the beads. Cabochons are cut stones, or in this case clay, that have not been drilled into beads. 

The clay was cured, sanded with many grades of wet sandpaper and then buffed on a soft wheel to a satin shine.  When I determine how I will use the cabochons, I then either wrap them or drill them as needed.  In this case, I drilled a single hole at the top of each cabochon and then created a sculpted ear wire.  The ear wire was then wrapped together with a small copper round with tiny gauge wire to finish each earring. 

The earrings measure 2 inches long and are 1/2 inch wide.  Very very light on the ears.  I hope you like them!

Contact me if you wish to purchase these earrings at $16.00.  Or, come see my artwork at the Dutch Reformed Church, Route 9, Hyde Park, NY on November 19th.  http://www.bodyice.net/

0 comments: