Thursday, December 9, 2010

New Copper and Clay Necklace

This necklace was just finished today.  I created the clay pendant drop with a sheet of art done in clay in a Mokume Gane technique.  The clay is layered and then sliced through to get the pattern.  Then I cut pieces from the clay, cure it, sand it and cover it with a coat of resin. 

Working with solid copper wire, I sculpted the base for the pendant, hammered it to give it strength and just kept working with the wire in a free style method to get a desired look.  The pendant is coiled with tiny guage copper wire and wrapped with hematite stones and copper beads.  The large stone in the middle is carved black stone.  Then, I created the links of the chain and made the copper necklace and a hook for closure.  The chain was then tumbled to harden the copper links.  I then oxidize the chain which, I think, brings the color of the hematite up into the necklace. 

I think it came out pretty cool. 

0 comments: